Being a single mom is no easy play. Throw in the sole responsibility of making ends meet, and your stress increases exponentially. You need to find a way to bring in more money, but you don’t want to sacrifice your time with your kids. It’s not easy to find a good side hustle for single moms that will pay the bills and let you spend time with your kids as you need something flexible.
If you want to tackle your financial responsibilities head-on, we have the perfect solution.
Our guide on the best side hustles for single moms will offer tons of great ideas to help you make more money without sacrificing your time with your kids.
So, instead of burning yourself on strenuous jobs, explore these side hustles and change things for the better.
Table of Contents
Things to Consider Before Starting a Side Hustle
Sure, starting a side hustle can be a great way to make some extra money, but you should consider a few things before diving in. Here are four tips to help you get started:
1. Initial Investment or Learning Curve
The most important thing to consider before starting a side hustle is the learning curve of the skill you’re trying to acquire. This is especially needed when you have time and availability limitations.
If the skill is something that you’re already familiar with, then obviously, the learning curve won’t be as steep. But if you’re starting from scratch, it’s important to factor in how long it will take you to learn the basics before you can start earning money from your side hustle.
Some skills can be learned relatively quickly, while others may take months or even years to perfect. It’s up to you to decide if the time and effort required to learn a new skill is worth it in terms of potential earnings.
2. Earning Potential
Gauging your preferred skill’s earning potential is crucial. After all, you don’t want to invest time and energy into something that isn’t going to be financially worthwhile. However, it can be difficult to accurately assess the earning potential of a new skill.
One way to get a general idea of how much you could earn from a side hustle is to look at what others in your field are charging for similar services. This will give you a ballpark estimation of what you can expect to make. Of course, many other factors will affect your earnings, such as your location/type of work, your clientele, and the amount of competition in your area.
3. Flexibility To Work
When you’re a single mom, it’s crucial to have a flexible side hustle that you can easily adjust to your changing circumstances. For example, if your child gets sick and needs to stay home from school, you need to be able to take the day off without having to worry about losing income.
A flexible side hustle is also important if you suddenly find yourself being a single parent. You may need to take on more responsibilities at home, and having a flexible job will allow you to still make some money while taking care of your kids. So before starting any new side hustle, make sure it has good flexibility.
You should take a few things into account when deciding whether or not your side hustle is sustainable in the long run.
- First, think about how much time you realistically have to devote to your side hustle. If you only have a few hours a week to dedicate to it, it might not be feasible in the long run. Make sure you estimate how much time you can actually commit to your side hustle before getting started.
- Second, consider the costs associated with your side hustle. If there are significant upfront costs or ongoing costs that would be difficult to cover, you won’t be able to sustain this gig for long.
- Third, if there’s a limited or seasonal target market for your skill, it will fizzle out after some time, and you’ll have to find something new.
If you want to start a side hustle that more or less fulfills all of these merit boxes, read on, and let us help.
Online Hustles for Single Moms
There are a ton of great digital and remote side hustles for single moms. After all, many of us need to find ways to make some extra money so we can better provide for our families.
And thanks to the internet, there are now more opportunities than ever before to do just that! So, if you’re looking for a little extra cash, take a look at the list below of some great digital side hustles that you can do from home.
Who knows – you may just find your new favorite way to make money!
If you’re looking for a way to make extra money working remotely, digital marketing can be a great option. It’s a growing industry with plenty of opportunities for those willing to put in the work.
But, you need to keep in mind a few things if you’re interested in pursuing digital marketing as a side hustle. Here goes:
- It’s essential to have a clear understanding of the basics. You don’t need to be an expert, but you should have a good grasp of digital marketing concepts.
- You’ll need to be willing to invest some time and effort into learning this new skill and keeping up with the latest digital trends.
- You’ll need to be patient. It can take a while to build up a client base and see results from your efforts. But if you’re willing to stick with it, digital marketing can be a great way to supplement your income.
How to Start Digital Marketing?
If you’re ready to give digital marketing a try, there are a few things you can do to get started.
- First, sign up for some free online courses to learn the basics. Do your research before paying bucks to any guru (there are many fakes out there).
- Next, start networking with other professionals in the industry to gauge your prospects.
- Finally, start pitching your services to businesses and individuals who could benefit from your skills. Be consistent because it takes time to build a positive rapport.
With a bit of effort, you can make digital marketing a reliable side hustle for yourself. Sure, the initial phase of learning a new skill is challenging, but remember there’s no free lunch in this world!
As a busy single mom, you may not have a lot of time to pursue outside interests. But what if you could turn one of your interests into a money-making side hustle?
Blogging is a great way to do just that. Blogging can be a fun and rewarding way to share your passions with the world, but it can also be a lucrative business venture. According to Forbes, top mom bloggers can earn upwards of $100,000 per year. That’s pretty impressive.
It’s evident from top blogging/marketing sites that blogging is rewarding, especially for busy moms.
Here are some of the benefits of this skill:
- It can be a great way to earn passive income. You can monetize your blog in several ways, such as selling advertising space or affiliate links.
- Blogging can help you connect with other moms who might be going through similar experiences. It can also be a great way to document your family’s life and share your parenting journey with others.
- Blogging can be an excellent outlet for creative expression and help you stay sane during those long days and sleepless nights!
How to Start Blogging?
Once you make up your mind about blogging, follow this simple roadmap:
- First, you need to choose a blogging platform. WordPress and Blogger are two of the most popular choices. Once you’ve set up your blog, start writing posts about topics you’re passionate about.
- To make money from your blog, you can sign up for Google AdSense, which will place ads on your site. You’ll earn money every time someone clicks on an ad.
- You can also sell advertising space on your blog or work with brands as an affiliate, endorsing products in exchange for a commission on sales.
Blogging is a great way to earn some extra cash or even turn it into a full-time income. So, if you’re a busy mom with love for writing, why not give it a try? You just might be surprised at how profitable it can be.
There are several reasons to consider becoming a virtual assistant (VA), but if you’re a single mom, there are even more.
Here are just a few of the ways that being a VA can be an incredibly rewarding side hustle.
- One of the best things about being a VA is that you can pretty much set your own hours. This is lucrative for single moms who need the flexibility to take care of their kids while still working.
- Another great thing about being a VA is that you can work from home. You don’t have to worry about childcare, and you can save on gas and other commuting costs.
- One more advantage of being a VA is that you get to choose your own clients. This means you can work with people you actually enjoy working with and respect your time and expertise.
While it’s true that you may not get rich quick as a VA, you can definitely make a good income. In fact, many VAs make quite a bit more than minimum wage. So, it’s a worth exploring option!
How to Start Virtual Assistance?
Assuming you have the basic skill set required for virtual assistance, there are a few key things to keep in mind when starting as a VA.
- Be clear on what services you’re offering and your rates. It’s important to be upfront about what you’re willing to do and how much you’ll charge for those services. Be sure to have a contract outlining the terms of your agreement with potential clients.
- Be organized and efficient in your work. Your clients will be counting on you to help them stay organized and on track, so you must be able to deliver on that promise.
- Always be professional. Remember that your clients trust you with important work, so you must professionally conduct yourself.
You can turn virtual assistance into a lucrative side gig and earn while staying home with your kids by following these tips. Good deal, right?
Graphic Designing & Video Editing
If you’re a creatively gifted single mom, consider using your creative skills to start a side hustle in graphic design or video editing. With a little effort, you can soon be earning a decent income from the comfort of your own home.
There are plenty of opportunities for single moms to make some extra money on the side through graphic design and video editing. And every skill related to visual skill, for that matter.
Both of these skills are used to create content for businesses, bloggers, and even individuals who need help with their social media accounts. You can help businesses create logos, advertisements, and even website designs if you know graphic designing. Similarly, video editing can be used to create engaging social media videos, promotions, and even short films.
There are a few reasons why graphic design and video editing make great side hustles for single moms.
- First, these skills can be learned relatively easily and without a significant investment. You can find plenty of free tutorials online or even take some inexpensive classes if you want to get a more formal education.
- Second, both graphic design and video editing can be done relatively flexibly, which is important for single moms who may have other commitments such as childcare or a full-time job. You can work on projects whenever you have some free time, and there’s no need to rent office space or buy expensive equipment.
- Finally, both of these skills are in high demand, so if you’re able to build up a strong portfolio, you can easily find work as a freelancer. This can be a great way to earn some extra income, and it can even lead to a full-time career if you’re able to build up a large enough client base.
How to Start Graphic Designing and Video Editing as Side Hustles?
There are plenty of online courses that can teach you graphic design and video editing basics. Once you have the skills, you can start offering your services to businesses and individuals who need help with their marketing and social media content. Although these two skills require more practice than other digital hustles mentioned above, their earning potential is well worth it.
Small-Scale Services Single Moms can Start Near Their Homes
As a single mom, it can be tough to find time for a side hustle close to home. But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered.
Here are some of the best side hustles for single moms that can be done near their homes.
One way single moms can start earning without going far away from home is by baking and selling their goodies. Baking can be a great side hustle for single moms because it is something that they can do from home, and it does not require a lot of start-up costs.
If you are a single mom thinking about starting a baking business, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. First of all, you need to have a good recipe for whatever you want to bake. Because otherwise, your baked goods won’t bring home a lot of cash.
Once you have a good recipe, you need to find a way to market your baked goods. You can do this by setting up a stall at your local farmer’s market or selling them online. If you sell your baked goods online, you will need to create a website and post their pictures. You will also need to take orders and ship the baked goods to your customers.
If you’re a good baker and need some extra cash coming in, make a business plan for your new baking venture, and get to it. There are plenty of sweet-toothed fellows out there, waiting for your brownies and cookies!
If you’re a busy mom, you may not have a lot of time for side hustles. But if you’re willing to get your hands dirty, house cleaning can be a great way to make extra money.
While there’s no guarantee that you’ll make a lot of money as a house cleaner, it is certainly possible to earn a decent wage through this side hustle.
The average hourly rate for house cleaning services is between $25 and $35, according to HomeAdvisor.com. This means that you could potentially earn $100 or more per day, depending on the number of hours you work.
Of course, your earnings will also depend on other factors, such as the type of cleaning services you provide, the size and condition of the homes you clean, and the number of clients you have.
But if you’re willing to put in the work, there’s a good chance you can sustain yourself with this gig.
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re thinking about starting a housecleaning business.
- You’ll need to be comfortable with cleaning other people’s homes. This may mean getting on your hands and knees to scrub floors or getting into nooks and crannies to dust.
- You must be organized and efficient in your work. Having a system for cleaning homes that you can stick to will leave your clients satisfied.
- You’ll have to be reliable and punctual. This is especially important if you plan to clean homes while the homeowners are away at work or on vacation.
If you can meet these requirements, house cleaning can be a great way to make some extra money. Just be sure to set your rates and expectations with your clients upfront, so there are no surprises down the road.
Newborn photography is a fun and creative way to make some extra money, and you can do it on your terms. While it’s not a get-rich-quick scheme, you can still make a decent income from photographing babies and families.
Here are a few things you need to get started with newborn photography.
- First, you need a good camera. You don’t need an expensive professional camera, but you will get better results if you have a good quality camera.
- Second, you need some basic props and accessories. These can be things like blankets, hats, and stuffed animals.
- Third, you need to find a willing subject. This is usually a friend or family member willing to let you take pictures of their newborn baby.
Once you have all of your supplies, you are ready to start taking pictures. The best time to take newborn photos is during the first two weeks after the baby is born. This is when they are usually the sleepiest and most relaxed. To get the best results, you should take pictures in a well-lit room with lots of natural light.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to take beautiful newborn photos that you can be proud of. Newborn photography is a great way to make some extra money, and it is also a lot of fun.
Are you a good driver and need an extra income source to keep afloat? You may want to consider becoming an Uber or Careem driver. Driving for Uber or Lyft is a fine side hustle, and it’s also a flexible gig that allows you to work around your family’s schedule.
Plus, what could be more convenient than being able to pick up and drop off your passengers without waiting in a taxi line? If you’re interested in becoming an Uber or Careem driver, here’s what you need to know.
To become an Uber or Careem driver, you’ll first need to meet some basic requirements. For example, you’ll need a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record. You’ll also need to be at least 21 years old. In addition, you must have a car that meets Uber or Careem’s vehicle requirements.
Once you’ve met all of the requirements, you can sign up to drive on the Uber or Careem website. After you’ve completed the sign-up process, you’ll need to pass a background check. Once you’re cleared to drive, you can start picking up passengers!
Summing Up Best Side Hustles For Single Moms
There’s no question that being a single mom is tough. You have to manage everything on your own and be extra careful with your finances.
One way to help ease the financial burden is to explore side hustles. With a side hustle, you can bring in some extra money to help cover expenses and even save for the future. You can pursue several different side hustles, so it’s crucial to find one that fits your interests and skill set.
Once you get started, you may be surprised at how much you can achieve.
We hope our list helps you find a sustainable income source and manage your life more easily. Good luck!